Wednesday 12 September 2012

Proteas coach Kirsten to miss final T20 clash

South Africa coach Gary Kirsten will miss Wednesday's final Twenty20 international against England after deciding to fly home to spend time with his family. 

Kirsten has opted to leave just before the end of South Africa's lengthy tour of England to allow him extra time with his family before rejoining the squad in Colombo on September 16 ahead of the start of the ICC World Twenty20 tournament. 

"I have made a decision to go home and to see my family, that is something that has always been part of my thinking when I took up this job," Kirsten said. 

"I think it will be good for the team, just to have me out of the space for a little bit and to see how the ship runs. I'm looking forward to seeing how that unfolds." 

Kirsten has taken occasional breaks from South Africa duty since succeeding long-term interim coach Corrie van Zyl 15 months ago. 

South Africa, who are in Birmingham ahead of Wednesday's Twenty20 clash at Edgbaston, lead the series 1-0 after Monday's second match at Old Trafford was abandoned due to heavy rain. 

The Proteas won the opening game in Durham by seven wickets on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment