Saturday 11 August 2012

Yuvraj returns for world twenty20

It was an emotional day for Yuvraj Singh and his family as news came in of the southpaw making a comeback into the National Team's set-up with his selection in the squad for international T20s against New Zealand and the World T20 to be held in Sri-Lanka beginning next month. 
"It's an emotional moment for me," said the dashing batsman with a tear in his eye. "I'm feeling elated. It's always been a dream to play for India and I am grateful to the BCCI and the selectors for reposing their faith in my ability once again." 

"The day I was diagnosed with cancer, I told myself that I am going to make a comeback into the Indian team. It's a huge victory for me and my family, especially my mother who has been a pillar of strength. I am going to celebrate this day with my family and friends. I have also got some phone calls from my teammates. It feels really great." Yuvraj Singh's mother, Shabnam, did not have words to express her happiness- "I am ecstatic," she said before rushing to a temple. 

When asked how did he manage to fight the illness and make a comeback in such a short span of time, the batsman replied, "That's me". 

He believes that India should do well in the World T20 and at least make it to the semi-finals. 

Yuvraj was happy with the progress he has made while training at the National Cricket Academy. "There was never a problem with my batting but with some hard training my stamina has improved a lot. I'm again heading back to NCA and will spend another two weeks to prepare hard for the T20 matches," he added. 

Yuvraj will play a few local tournaments to get some match-practice. 

"It feels as if I am making my debut. I have always believed that T20 is the best format for my comeback. It is an emotional day for me. I was very happy after my selection in the preliminary squad, but now I am over the moon." 

"I am not yet ready for 50-over or Test cricket. The demands of the longer format are much more rigorous on the body.", replied the left-hander when asked about his chances of playing in the longer formats of the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment